Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Daily 5 Book Study - Chapter 5


Chapter 5 - Read to Someone and Listen to Reading 

Let's start with Read to Someone...
In this chapter, the sisters outline the focus lessons for introducing read to someone.  I do all of those lessons, except Day 5 (How to Choose a Partner). Since I do the Daily 5 during my literacy center time, my students do read to someone with their literacy center partners.  As I mentioned in the previous book study posts, I have 8 literacy centers each week.  Five of those are Daily 5 activities. 

I think the key to success during the introduction of read to someone is the concept of  EEKK (elbow to elbow, knee to knee).  Most of my students do really well when they are sitting that close to each other.  While my students are building stamina for this part of the Daily 5, I take pictures of each pair of students sitting EEKK.  I print the pictures and each child writes about why it is important to sit EEKK during read to someone.  When they take it home, I ask them to explain it to their parents.  Here are 2 different versions of a EEKK sign that I made. The form that I use for the EEKK writing with their pictures.  And... a read to someone form that I use to hold students accountable during read to someone time.  Directly below you will find the legal lingo to go with them. 

Legal lingo - These freebies are not endorsed by the 2 Sisters.  Please consider visiting them at www.thedailycafe.com.






The fonts, one of the borders and the backgrounds I used are from Hello Fonts by Jen Jones.
I love her stuff!



Like most lower elementary teachers, I spend LOTS (and I mean lots) of time establishing routines and procedures in my classroom.  The older I get, the more time I spend on it.  Years ago, I would feel frustrated by the amount of teaching time it took to establish routines and procedures.  I quickly learned that it was not worth it to cut that time short and jump into the real curriculum.  The Daily 5 feels the same way to me.  It only works for me if I am patient during the introduction/establishing routines/building stamina phase.


Listen to Reading
I didn't realize it until I became a teacher, but I am sensitive to loud voices.  I'm not really sensitive to other loud noises, but those kids who talk/whine loudly/yell in the classroom drive me bonkers!  This year, I'd like to use this book when I teach the lessons about the appropriate volume I would like to have in the classroom.  Just have to find a copy that costs less than $33.  I'm working on that.


I tie the introduction of Listen to Reading together with the life skill of "listening" that I also cover at the beginning of the year.  Here are some of the mentor texts I use for mini lessons about the importance of listening.






 
I'm linking up with Kelli from Castles and Crayons. She is hosting the 1st grade portion of the book study for this chapter. Mechele from Barrow's Hodgepodge and Melissa from Dilly Dabbles are hosting this chapter for 2nd/3rd grade. Please visit them to check out their fabulous posts!  You can also link up with your ideas about this chapter of the Daily 5.  Please make sure you only link up if your post is about this chapter of the Daily 5 (Yes, I have to say that... sad, but true).

Castles and Crayons




DillyDabbles
 
 
 
 
 
 

8 comments:

  1. Thank you SO MUCH for linking up, Kimberly! :) Have you seen the pin floating around on Pinterest for the book Lacey Walker, Nonstop Talker? A cute read aloud for listening! LOVE the idea of adding reading alouds to the launch of Listen to Reading! :)

    Kelli :)
    Castles and Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelli,
    That is so funny! I just recently bought that book. I love it! I'm on my 15 day camping trip right now. Can't wait to get back and read all the link ups for chapters 5 & 6.
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Thanks so much for all your freebies and insights. They are so helpful to those of us just starting out with the D5. I love that you linked up some good literature to your D5 lessons. I'm going to add those to my bag of tricks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a few of those books, but hadn't heard of others. Great ideas and suggestions. The freebies are just what I need:)

    Aloha,
    Corinna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Listen Buddy. Thanks for the insight. I love all that I have learned from all of you who have already been doing this.
    Think all night…..Teach all day

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Daily 5 resources you have created. I think I will def. be working on some of my own next week. Thanks for sharing!

    Spotted in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great book ideas and freebies! I love your reflective EEKK writing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the freebies! Unfortunately, the Read to Someone freebie was giving me an error and I couldn't download it. Any way it can be fixed? I tried it a few times and nada. :-(

    ReplyDelete