Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Daily 5 Book Study - Chapter 4

We're moving on to Part 2 of The Daily 5: The Daily 5 in Action!

When I start the Daily 5 in my classroom, I follow the steps in the book to introduce each of the "5". I do the lessons as mini lessons during my reader's workshop time. After the initial Daily 5 introductory lessons, my reader's workshop mini lessons change to focus on specific skills, concepts and/or strategies.

 I make lots of anchor charts during the introductory lessons. Note to self: take more pictures next year (which is kind of comical if you know how many I take each year). Anyway, I make one chart about the 3 Ways to Read a book. Next, I make the I-chart for Read to Self. Then I make another chart to record our stamina as we practice each day.  I keep the first two anchor charts up in my room all year and we refer to them often.

I've found that it is really important to keep your practice sessions short enough to guarantee success. The sisters recommend starting off with 3 minutes of practice. That was way too long for some of my dumplings (special friends) last year. I had to start with 1 minute. It worked (barely). We increased to 2 minutes (after 3 days). Honestly, it took us a week and 2 days to get to 5 minutes. I do lots of modeling, but some groups just require more practice, praise and guidance. I was determined to make sure each practice session was a success (and end on a positive note each time). Eventually, we got there.

When the routine for read to self is well established in my room, I add a recording form for my students to do at the read to self "center". Remember, I have 8 literacy centers (5 of them are Daily 5 activities). Once again, I give myself permission to do what works well for my students (and break a few rules on the way - oh well). Here is the recording form that my students use and the legal lingo that I need to use with any freebies related to the Daily 5.  I like my students to be held accountable for what they are supposed to be doing independently while I am working with small groups.  I find that having a "report"  for the students to fill out helps them stay on track a little better.  It also serves as a talking tool if I need to "conference" with anyone about their behavior during this time and a reward for the kids who feel really proud to take home this report to prove that they are doing a great job during read to self.

 Legal lingo - This freebie is not endorsed by the 2 Sisters. Please consider visiting their website at www.thedailycafe.com.

The font that I used is from Hello Fonts by Jen Jones. 

I'm linking up with Jennifer from First Grade Blue Skies and Laura from Tattling to the Teacher. They are hosting Chapter 4 this week for 1st grade. Tessa from Tales Outside the Classroom is hosting Chapter 4 for 2nd/3rd grade.


First Grade Blue Skies







Happy 4th of July everyone!

  

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the encouragement and advice! When I tried Daily 5 the last time, this is where it fell apart. Mine couldn't last 3 minutes either. I like the idea of introducing it during Reading Workshop as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel so relieved that you said your class couldn't start with 3 minutes last year... when I tried Daily 5 we didn't get past 17 seconds on one of the first days and I felt really defeated!

    Marvelous Multiagers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking up and for the freebie! I like having something to keep my firsties accountable too.

    Laura
    tattling to the teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two things you said really stood out and make so much sense:

    1. I've found that it is really important to keep your practice sessions short enough to guarantee success.

    and

    2. I give myself permission to do what works well for my students (and break a few rules on the way - oh well).

    You are a wise woman! Thanks!

    Firstgradebloomabilities

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked reading your take on how you manage this part of the D5. It's also good to hear how everyone is tweaking this to fit in their rooms. I had a couple of questions I posted on my blog in hopes to get thoughts from those already using it. Your check off sheet answers one of them. I like it a lot! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have nominated you and your wonderful blog for the Versatile Blogger and One Lovely Blog Award! Stop by to get the rules! First Grade Exploration

    Cora

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree with you that sometimes we have to "break the rules." Every group of students is different and we need to modify our teaching to meet them where they are at. I hope your stamina building is a little easier this year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad that you, and other bloggers, are doing the Daily 5 book study. We've been using Daily 5 in our school for a few years now, but I like to read up on it each summer. This year...I forgot both of my copies at school! Yikes!

    I've nominated you for an award. :) Stop by to check it out!

    First-Graders from Outer Space

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey there!

    I have nominated you for the "Versatile Bloggers" award. Receive it from my blog!

    Mrs. Crouse @{6th Grade} All-Stars

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the checklist you made. It is important that students learn how to self-monitor! Good luck next year.

    ateacherwithoutaclass.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello! I am your newest follower. Please come and visit my blog. I would love for you to follow mine and share ideas.
    Thanks,
    Mrs. Janelle

    http://mrsjanelleskindergarten.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete