Monday, June 27, 2011

Just Right Books

Spending enough time practicing with "just right" books is closely related to the amount of progress students make. During the first two weeks of school, I start my reader's workshop lessons (and add my first strategies to the CAFE menu). Here are two of my favorite books to use during my mini-lessons about "just right" books.  Love Goldie Socks!  She tries really hard to find a book that is "not too easy, not too hard, but JUST RIGHT".  You can click on the image to check it out on Amazon.


I use this book during mini-lessons for two strategies. First, I use it during my mini-lessons about just right books.  The bears in this story are also in search of a "just right" book.  Again, you can click on the image below to check it out at Amazon.

Then after I finish my mini-lessons on just right books... I use this book again.  I reread it with the book below to introduce text-to-text connections. 
Later this week, I'll be hosting a linky party about helping struggling readers.  I'd love to hear about your ideas for helping struggling readers.  So organize your ideas and get ready to link up later this week!

8 comments:

  1. Thanks! I use the book "Going on a Bear Hunt" but I love your other book suggestions. I'm going to Amazon right now....I think all teacher may have a shopping problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just working on this unit! Love both your book suggestions. I will be purchasing them. Thanks!

    Samantha
    http://msbeattie-samantha.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the cute book ideas! i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting about the book hunt book. I don't have that one. I also do text-to-text with bear hunt but I use We Are Going On A Leaf Hunt.
    Jenn
    Finally in First

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! Thanks for sharing!

    Amanda
    www.frolickingthroughfirst.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these book ideas! I have never seen the first 2 books so they are on my list for secret purchase this summer. Are there more books like these for refresher lessons? Thanks for the help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing these book recommendations! I'll check them out soon from the library. :)

    Magnificent Multiagers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't heard of Goldisocks! I'm adding these to my B&N cart tonight! Thanks!

    Rowdy in First Grade

    ReplyDelete