Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Quilted Memories

This post has absolutely nothing to do with teaching...

My own children are growing up so fast (way too fast). My oldest is 10 and my youngest is 7. Over the last several years, we have given away or sold most of the "baby stuff". Of course, I kept some of their favorite toys and stuffed animals. I also kept one bin of my favorite things for each child (my favorite bib, their crib sheets, a few soft blankets, some adorable clothes that they loved or I loved). When I decided what to save and what I could part with, I wasn't really sure what I would do with the things in each bin. I just knew that each bin was full of memories that I was not willing to part with.

 My friend, Holly, is a talented seamstress. She has been sewing for years. When her son, Matthew, died a few years ago, she used sewing as a way to share his things and the memories they treasure with family members and friends. Holly made quilts and pillows from her sons things to give to family members. When we saw her beautiful memory quilts, we started encouraging her to consider opening a business. This year, Holly did that. Her business is called Memories Are Timeless Treasures. She started making quilts and other items for people who have lost a loved one and for people like me who just want to perserve special memories in a unique way.

Holly took a bag full of my "special things" (one for each of my children), made me pinky swear that I was ok with her cutting them up and created 2 beautiful quilts. When she dropped them off at my house, I was flooded with happy memories. The crib sheets that are so familiar to me, my son's favorite shirt, the ballerina pillow case that my daughter loved, special bibs for each, their hospital issued blankets, my favorite bandana patterned Gymboree leggings that were perfect for our little preemie, the first pair of Lightening McQueen big boy undies...and so many more memories for each child.

Each quilt has a backing and the borders around each of the "blocks" are also made from our special things.  They are beautiful!  I could just cry every time I look at them...and I can't stop smiling just thinking about every little piece and the memories that went with that special time.

Marissa's Memory Quilt


Donavon's Memory Quilt


You can visit Holly's website to get more information about her business.

 

4 comments:

  1. LOVE! I've been wanting to do something like this with my 18 year-old's tee-shirts before he goes to college. You are right, they do grow up way to fast. The awesome thing that happens though is that they become your friends! Thanks for sharing I'm on my way to check out MemoriesAreTimeless!
    Jenny
    Owl Things First

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for this! I've been wanting to do something with my 8-year old's items, but I didn't know how or what to do. I love that this is someone nearby (I live in Ypsilanti township) that I can contact. Thanks!
    - Kelly :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are so neat. I have seen some made with favorite t-shirts and given to kids when they graduate. It is something I've been thinking about doing for my own kids. :-)

    Crystal
    Teaching Little Miracles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are beautiful. My daughter is 3 and I have TOTES FULL of all of her clothes. I just cant bear to part with them yet but they are taking up so much space. This seems like a great way to preserve some of those memories and get back a little closet space too! LOL
    Thanks for sharing!
    Jean
    Diving Into 2nd Grade

    ReplyDelete