Sunday, April 15, 2012

Animal Research and Mother's Day

I know...they don't really go together. But, they are both on my "list". Oh, how I love lists (well actually I just love crossing things off)!

My students are wrapping up their animal research reports. I'll try to post a picture or two of their final reports later this week. They worked so hard on their reports and are super excited to share them with their families at our end of the year celebration. Yep, I keep their reports and a few other special things to display at our celebration.

Last year, I made a special report form for my students to use for their animal research reports. Here are the steps I use for the research project:

1. book shop for an animal to research
(I gather all of my leveled nonfiction books about specific animals. I also clear out the library shelves. I scatter the books (by animal) on the tables in my room and let my students "book shop" to pick an animal to research. I have a somewhat embarrassing number of leveled books, so the students have lots of choices. Allowing them to book shop for their animal helps to guarantee that we actually have books about their animal.)

2. The children spend several days taking "notes" to use for their reports. They take notes about everything from habitat to appearance.

3. When the notes are complete, they spend several days writing about each of the same topics in their reports.

4. My students "report" to the class about their animal.

5. The animal research reports will be on display for our end of the year celebration (parents, grandparents and school staff members are invited).

This is the animal research report form that I use.  You can find it at my Tpt store and at my Teachers Notebook shop.



Next up, I'm gearin' up to work on a Mother's Day book with my students.  Every year, I promise myself that I will start the Mother's Day stuff earlier (so I don't have to rush).  It doesn't usually happen, but this year I'm sure going to try.

This is the Mother's Day packet that I made to use with my students.   We make it into a book for them to give to their mom to celebrate the special day.  You can find it at my Tpt store and my Teachers Notebook shop.


In between these two projects (and operation destress my life), I've been working on a common core math review pack.  I'll be posting that in the next couple days.  My dentist had the bright idea that I need to "destress" my life.  I personally thought I was hiding my stress pretty well until the left side of my darn face turned numb and swelled up on Friday.  Turns out I've been clenching my teeth so hard at night that my muscles became swollen (which pinched a few nerves)...blah, blah, blah.  So, operation destress it is.  More sleep, more wine, extra bubble baths, no more moving and I'm practicing saying "NO" really loud.  So far the plan is working just fine.

Enjoy your week everyone!

5 comments:

  1. You poor thing... I hope you can stay less stressed for a while. Your packets look great.
     Chrissy

    First Grade Found Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm your newest follower and I LOVE your blog! Your animal research reports and Mother's Day packets are great!!

    Good luck with destressing!! :)

    Rachel
    A-B-Seymour

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kimberly! YIKES! RE-LAX! Easier said than done, right?????
    Hang in there! Your Mother's Day packet looks amazing!
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha.... the best teachers always have a hard time with that word "NO". I've discovered it is a must.... or your face swells up... but you already know that! haha
    I hope you can relax and just "enjoy" soon!
    ❤Traci❤
    Dragonflies in First

    ReplyDelete