Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Helping Each Other Be Successful

About a month ago, I found this poster online titled "12 Things Successful People Do Differently". As teachers, I feel like there are too many times when we "worry about another teacher being successful and how it will make us look/feel" rather that lifting each other up and celebrating the success of other educators.

 Here is the poster. It was shareed by Mrs. McCumbee's Class blog.  I love the name of her blog, McCumbee Talent Development.


I'm on day 14 of my 17 day camping trip, so I've had a lot of time to think about next year.

Next year is going to be a challenging year for my first grade team.  There are 5 of us.  Three of the 5 are fairly new to first grade, but all have lots of teaching experience.  We are starting a new math program (thank you, Jesus!).  We will also be piloting a new reader's workshop curriculum and a new writing program.  How did we end up doing all of that in the same year?  I better not say.  Either way, it will be a challenging year and we are going to have to do everything we can to encourage and celebrate each other.

Here's my plan.  Remember, I'm a goal setter?  Plus, I really need to be a better listener.  It's really a struggle when you enjoy talking as much as I do.


Now, I'm off for a walk on the beach while I wait impatiently for an email saying my Erin Condren Life Planner has shipped.  My husband and most of my friends and family would die if they knew how much I spent on the planner that I ordered.  But, ya'll understand right?

Those tabs,
the pretty colors,
the spaces for all of my lists,
the custom stickers that I ordered,
the pretty colored pens that I will use to organize our crazy schedule,
the adorable custom cover...
dreamy.
I can hardly wait!

 

5 comments:

  1. I love your goals! Thanks so much for sharing. I will be keeping your ideas in mind as we start the new school year.

    Karen

    An Apple a Day in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you are an amazing teammate. Thanks for sharing your goals, best of luck with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your goals! I was in your boat this year! We got new math, reading and writing programs this year! Next year, I will be the only "seasoned" first grade teacher! I will have 2 new teammates!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kimberly, I just found your blog today and became a follower. I can totally relate to you about talking too much. A previous principal actually said "If you want a short conversation, do NOT stop by Sharon Dudley's room!" I was so embarrassed and hurt at the time, but over the years I've realized that I do have to work on just closing my mouth and listening to others.

    If you have a second, come and visit my blog. I just put up some new freebies dealing with "The Old Lady Who Swallowed a Shell".

    Sharon Dudley, NBCT
    Teaching with Sight

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kimberly, I was looking at my analytics today...(because I am a geek) and saw your mention of my blog. I was so excited! You have inspired me to share the love for my fellow blogger friends. Thanks so much :)

    ReplyDelete