Friday, November 18, 2011

Traveling Books and 5 Senses Poetry

My students make several traveling books each year. The students in my class take each traveling book (which are basically class books) home one at a time. I send a note with the traveling book that basically says the student should read the book to their family and return the book to school the very next day.

Since we've been working on writing poetry, we made a traveling book 
out of the poems the children wrote about Halloween. 



The poems they wrote are in the 5 senses format. We used one of the poetry forms from my Seasonal 5 Senses Poetry Forms pack to do the original writing and their poems became published pieces when we put them in our book. Next week, we will be using the Thanksgiving 5 senses form from the same pack. Throughout the year, we work on adding details and really making our poems sparkle with interesting adjectives.  My students become really familiar with the 5 senses format over time, which allows us to focus more on word choice.  I also keep a copy of each of the 5 senses poems each student wrote throughout the year.  At the end of the year, each student is given a book of the seasonal poems they wrote to take home.

You can click on the image below to see this item in my Tpt store.  It is also available at my Teachers Notebook shop.



6 comments:

  1. Great idea - I could do a poem book when we get back from Thanksgiving!! Thanks!

    Sarah from The House That Ag Built

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have inspired me with your creative ideas. I'd like to give you the Sunshine Award.

     Chrissy

    First Grade Found Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. I send a note with the traveling book that basically says the student should read the book to their family and return the book to school the very next day.
    Volunteering in Uganda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading a book during travel make your increase to the next level. I am also Wedding Travel Agent in Houston and love reading books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Culinary Historians of Southern California's website consistently highlights recent presentations, usually posted shortly afterward. Although I can't confirm Gold's presentation's online availability, there have been some noteworthy recent ones that are certainly worth exploring. lava lounge houston





    ReplyDelete