Wednesday, January 25, 2012

MLK Activity Pictures

I'm finally getting around to posting the pictures of the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. activities we did in my room. For a few days, we read lots of books about MLK. We had a class discussion about MLK and all of things he believed in, worked for and accomplished. After our discussion, we made a class web with MLK's picture in the middle.

Many of the activities I used this year were a pinspiration from the fabulous Anna and Crazy for First Grade. You can find her post here. Anna's blog is packed full of amazingness! If you are not already a follower...you need to check it out!

Here is a picture of the version of the art project my students did and a writing sample. I encouraged my students to write their own "I have a dream" speech focusing on anything they think would make the world a better place. Their topics of choice ranged from ending bullying to feeding wild bunnies. Gotta love first graders! Both the art project idea and the writing pages I used are from Anna's blog.



When my students finished their writing, I gave them the opportunity to say their "speech" while standing behind a real podium with a microphone. They LOVED it!!! I introduced each speaker and we listened to each of them 3 times because they enjoyed it so much. The podium is not very fancy, but the speeches were impressive and absolutely adorable. I've done this for several years. One year, I invited parents. Although I'm sure it would bring them to tears to hear the cute little speeches, I find that the number of students willing to try the podium thing is significantly less when we have lots of adults in the room.


Back to work I go... stay tuned tomorrow...it's almost giveaway time!!!

8 comments:

  1. I love the fact that they got to give a "speech"! My kids would love that!
    Jennifer
    First Grade Blue Skies

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your podium idea! I bet they felt very COOL and grown up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the podium!! How awesome is that!!! What a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

    įƒ¦DeAnne
    First Grade and Fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the podium!!!! With the microphone! I'd have a hard time giving that up! Ha! :)
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Kimberly...

    Come check out my blog! Trying to get a MI blogger meet up together! Let me know your thoughts!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  7. Liked this post, my Grandparents always said stay busy and follow your dreams which is what we are doing at http://stardustchannel.com helping actors, writers and producers put together projects.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are those that travel and those who are going somewhere. They are different, and yet, they are the same. Successful people have this over their rivals: they know where they are going. Love Sms , Love Text

    ReplyDelete