Sunday, August 4, 2013

Opinion Writing (Common Core)

I finally finished my opinion writing unit.  It's called Writing My Opinion.  It was created to use with Kindergarten, first grade and second grade students. 

Writing My Opinion is aligned with the common core, but can be used no matter which standards your school uses.  The different strands of the common core standards were designed to allow students practice specific skills (like opinion writing) multiple times each year so they are ready to add more sophisticated skills (within that same strand) in the next grade level.  The prompts in this pack allow me to give my students multiple opportunities to practice opinion writing throughout the year.  I use rubrics and self reflections (which are included for each grade level) to track progress and plan writing goals for individual students.  I use some of the Kindergarten and 2nd grade pages with students when I need to differentiate throughout the year.  



a detailed description of how I teach opinion writing
pieces to make your own anchor chart
photos of my reusable anchor chart
graphic organizers for K, 1st and 2nd grade students
lined writing paper
covers for 10 different opinion writing prompts
a mentor text list of books to use for modeling opinion writing
rubrics for K, 1st and 2nd grade students
opinion writing reflection pages for K, 1st and 2nd grade students


I made a reusable anchor chart to help me model the parts of opinion writing pieces for my students.  I will be doing a post about my reusable anchor charts soon. For, now...here are a couple pictures of the chart.  The pieces to make your own chart are included in the Writing My Opinion pack.

My Opinion Writing Chart 



We add post-it notes as I use this chart to help me model opinion writing for my students.


2 comments: