Monday, March 11, 2013

Mentor Text Monday Linky - Math Mentor Texts

Thanks for stopping by for this weeks mentor text monday linky! I received lots of emails last week asking questions about mentor texts and how I use them. I will answer those as soon as I can. I got attacked by strep throat and a nasty cold last week. Between that and a presentation I did over the weekend, I'm backed up on responding to my emails. Sorry... You can head back to my post from last Monday if you want to download a copy of my list of favorite mentor texts.  You can find that post here.

The mentor texts that I'm writing about today are a few of my favorites for working on math related skills.  The first book is from Stuart Murphy's Math Start series, which I love. I use Tally O'Malley at the beginning of the year when we work on tally marks, then again when we start yes/no surveys (and need to rely on tally marks for data collection).


I use How Many Feet in the Bed? to help me introduce skip counting and number combinations.  My students always love to count how many feet would be in a bed if their whole family climbed in bed together.



The Best Vacation Ever - doesn't that just sound good?  This book is also from the Math Start series.  It is the book that I use to introduce collecting data and surveys.



If you have a favorite math book or two that you like to use as a mentor text with a specific lesson, please link up. Don't be shy! According to the number of emails I received about mentor texts last week, inquiring minds want to know.
 

2 comments:

  1. This is a great idea! I have to say I'm a bit confused, though... are math mentor texts this week, or next Monday? :) Thanks!

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just added those books to my Amazon wish list!

    Rowdy in First Grade

    ReplyDelete