Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Memory Jar

I was recently inspired by an idea that I spotted on Pinterest. The original idea is from Inchmark Squarespace.  The idea posted on that site (by a mom) was to record the funny things her kids said by writing them on little slips of paper and putting them in a special jar.  Whenever she needed a laugh, she pulled the little slips back out to enjoy them.

For the past 13 years, I have been keeping a journal of the funny (or just plain outrageous)  things my students say to me.  I reread the pages of the book whenever I need a laugh.  Believe me... it's quite a collection!  The collection of funny things that the mom kept in the jar reminded me of my journal, but it also inspired me to think about how I could use the jar idea in my classroom.

This year, my class is going to have a memory jar (inspired by the jar mentioned above).  My plan is to end each day by choosing a student to add one memory from the day to our jar.  I will have pre-cut strips of paper and I will probably write the memory on the slip myself (with the students name) to add to our jar.

My Class Memory Jar

I always do a memory book of some sort with my students.  The memory book that I use is available at my Teachers Notebook and Tpt shops.  In addition to the memory book, I plan to compile the "memories" from our jar into a list that can be added to each child's memory book.

Here are the 2 versions of the label that I made.  The first set is blue/green (since those are the colors in my classroom).  I made a second set in black/white for anyone who prefers those.  I included labels for grades K - 4.

Enjoy your day!
 

6 comments:

  1. This is a great idea. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool idea! I love it! Thanks for sharing Kimberly. Whoops, just noticed I feel the same way as Wanda :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! I always mean to write down the funny things my students say, and have definitely been better at it some years more than others. Maybe this will be what I need to make this a better year at writing it down! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an adorable idea!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete