Monday, December 10, 2012

Everyone Needs One

Everyone needs...an Emily. 

 My good friend, Emily, is a retired teacher. It's been about 5 years since she retired. I'm still trying to get over the fact that she is no longer in "her" room. Emily has always been a mentor to me. She is someone I look up to. She is someone I never want to disappoint. 

 The lucky part is that once a week, she visits my room. Yep, that's right. Emily has been volunteering one day a week in my room as a gift to me (and my students) for the past 3 years. She works with students, organizes my mess, listens to me vent and helps me/my students with special projects. She comes in the morning and stays the whole day!  My students love her and ask about her when she is not there.  She is amazing!
Each time she comes, I worry that I have not thanked her enough. I promised her that I would gift a teacher the same gift when I retire. I feel so lucky to have her help. 

 Last month, she gave me another gift. It was better than my favorite flowers, better than chocolate turtles and just as great as a winning lottery ticket. During one of her visits (and in between me whining about the curriculum and my conference schedule), she told me that she wants me to know that I am a good teacher. Those words and her weekly visits mean more to me than Emily will ever know. 

 Every teacher needs an Emily. Some day, I'm going to try really hard to be "Emily" for someone else who needs her as much as I do.
 

8 comments:

  1. WOW. How cool is that. You are so lucky to have her in your classroom and in your life. You are so totally right that everyone needs one. I think I'm still searching, I pray I'm as lucky as you someday!

    And I think you're right, the best way to repay her or thank her is to do the same for someone else. That's how the world works :-)

    You're so blessed!!! Have a great week!

    Brittany
    Closing the Gap... in a Cute Outfit

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sweet! I also have an "Emily" Her name is Barb and she retired two years ago. It was so hard not having her next door to me! She comes in and volunteers for us one day a week also! Bless her heart she does whatever we need and never complains! Love her! Aren't we lucky?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww you are so lucky! I LOVE that you are going to pay it forward! :o)

    œKaryn
    A is for Apple B is for Blog
    Kideducator@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post! Great picture of both you cuties! I sooo need me an Emily!
    Growing Firsties is having a giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The best gift ever for your mentor to say you are a good teacher:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post! Love sweet Emily. I hope I have an Emily when I start teaching. :)

    Bren P.
    The Teacher Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everyone needs and deserves an Emily in their life. With my new position in my district I can't provide an entire day but I do try to go in and help another teacher or model a lesson. This reminds me to appreciate every, single educator and to thank them for their hard work. This post was so touching and I will try to be more like
    Emily as I work as a district mentor.
    Fran@kindergartencrayons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete