Sunday, May 6, 2012

Desk Fairy Freebie

The desk fairy is going to make a visit to my room tomorrow! She has stopped by a few other times this year. On Friday, I spent a few minutes after school "peeking" in a few desks (bad idea). It's definitely time for the desk fairy to visit again. Each year, I read Second Grade Rules, Amber Brown by Paula Danziger to my class. In the story, Deskarina, is the desk fairy who visits Amber Brown's class. She is the cousin of Denatlina (the tooth fairy). My students always love the story and it's a great way to get them excited about keeping their desks clean.

When Deskarina visits my room, she always leaves a "note" for each of the students with a clean desk. Sometimes she even leaves them an eraser or a special pencil grip. I don't have a prize box or a "move your clip" system in my room. I generally just expect the children to behave and spend lots of time reinforcing how important it is to do the "right" thing.

But...I do break my own rule from time to time and give out a little prize for a clean desk. There are 2 reasons that I feel like it is ok to break my own rule...
1. I never give out prizes, so they are never suspicious about my connection to the desk fairy.
2. My desk is such a mess that I never get a prize from the desk fairy, so if anyone cries about not getting a "note/prize", I reassure them that we'll have to work "together" to try to keep our desks clean for the next visit from Deskarina.

I have a few different versions of my desk fairy note to share with you.  You can click on the picture below to download them if you choose. 

 I'd like to thank everyone who helped the first day of the sale at my Tpt store and my Teachers Notebook shop be a success. I appreciate your business (and teachers in general). The sale at my Tpt store (10% off) will continue through May 8. You can also use the code TAD12 for an additional discount from Tpt. All of the items in my Teachers Notebook shop are also 10% off and that sale will continue until May 11. There are links to both of my shops on my sidebar. 


Enjoy your Monday (that doesn't sound quite right - but I'm sure gonna try)! 

5 comments:

  1. Love it! So cute!! We clean out our desks every Friday and make nice neat stacks of everything . . . I can't believe how messed up some of them get by 9am on Monday mornings.
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great!!! I have seen desk fairy before but to have a story to go along with it will be great to for my students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cute! Thanks so much! I just found your blog and I am excited to start following!

    Come visit me at

    totallyterrificteachingtools.blogspot.com

    Lohren Nolan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the desk fairy notes. The kids will love them. I am your newest follower.
    Sandra
    Classroom Companion

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I currently give out desk fairy notes, but had never heard of this book to go with it. Can't wait to use it next year. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete