Saturday, February 26, 2011

Book Box Drama

Over the years, I've admired teachers who could manage individual book boxes for each student. I'm really a simple girl (and I can never figure out how to manage all the book switching)...so in my room it goes like this.

1. help yourself
2. read it
3. put it back (nicely)

The bins I use are from Lakeshore. I've had them for 6 or 7 years and I've never had one break. I have 1 or 2 bins full of books at each level. There is a color coded sticker (to match the leveling system we use at my school) and a label on the front of each bin. Each of my students know which level they read at independently and they simply get their books from that community bin (until I reassess them and they move to a new level).

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you on that! I tried giving each child his/her own box and it was a hot mess. Maybe I just wasn't organized enough, but I have a pretty organized room. But I stopped that madness after a year and I do the same as you. Do you have any boxes that are not a level but just a genre?
    F is For First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have any boxes by genre...but I'm thinking about tackling that this summer so I can reorganize my reading and writing workshop resources. If anyone has boxes leveled by genre, I'd love to hear any helpful advice you may have to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! I have been contemplating the idea of a leveled library like yours and individual book boxes for a first grade classroom. You just made my decision a whole lot easier! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete